Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oh the books I've read!

Here in Chile I don't often get new books. So the time I spend in the US, I get books! I didn't get too many because books are so expensive. I just love buying books on Ebay or Amazon, used.

Anyway, I bought a few that were a real blessing to me.

The first was "Me, myself and Bob" by Phil Vischer, creator of VeggieTales. Now, I happen to love the wacky-doodle humor of Veggie Tales. Its not for everybody, but I love it! So I was really interested in this book. I found it on sale for 4.95 (yeah!) and started reading. I read about Phil's life, and how he created the talking, bouncing, limb-less veggies and why they don't do any stories about Jesus.(His mama told him that he should never portray Jesus as a veggie. Makes sense to me!) It was a great read. I laughed out loud many times. Then I started reading how he eventually lost BigIdea, his company. I was devastated! Then I marvelled as I read how that he began to see God's hand wooing him into a place where there was only God and Phil. Where being a Christian was about being and not just doing. Being in Christian service myself, I can totally relate. Its a trap we all fall into, thinking that its our service that matters to God. Service should flow out of a life that is in a vibrant relationship with Jesus. If you've got that relationship, you've got everything. If you don't, you have absolutely nothing, no matter how much "service" you're doing for God.

I desire to be in that place of close relationship and stay there, abide there.
There is nothing else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you've got that relationship, you've got everything. If you don't, you have absolutely nothing, no matter how much "service" you're doing for God.

Amen!