Monday, November 24, 2008

Calvinism vs Armenianism

For reasons that I cannot begin to comprehend, I have lately been fascinated by the Calvinism vs. Armenianism debate. I don't know why.
I have learned that women do not usually blog about this, but preachers do. They write loooooong posts and looooooong comments on other's posts. I don't know where they get all that time! The other thing is that the more I read about it, the stupider I feel (see how bad it is? I just wrote "stupider") These writers use long words I never heard before like "Lapsarianism" and "amyraldism".
I have seen harsh disagreement between these two positions. I have also seen inflexibility. For example, one man wrote that if you aren't a calvinist, you're an armenian. Oh, and of course, they both use some of the same words, but define they differently. Another example; Do I believe in the sovreignty of God? Yes. Do I believe that God chooses people to go to hell? No. Do I think that is two opposing views? No, but that's just me!

The sad thing is that it appears that both groups believe that the other group cannot possibly be saved. Hmm. Since I do not place myself in either group totally, where does that leave me? Hmmm.

Ahh, theology!

5 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Either way, I'm saved!!!
(Shhh! Don't tell anyone but I read those same kind of blogs too. I learn somethings and also find them to be entertaining!)

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

Just stopping by to wish ya'll a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Nellie said...

Oh boy Rhonda, talk about a can of worms among Christians. . or maybe explosives would be the better comparison.

You are very correct about the pigeonholing that goes on here. A friend of mine once said that Armenians try to take credit for their salvation by saying things like "I made a decision to accept Christ into my life." I had to explain a bit that Armenians are no less focused on the grace of God in the working of their salvation and also very much reject the notation of a "work" as having anything to do with their salvation. I think some of the disagreement is symantics based or due to common phrases used by either camp.

I have evolved on this in my adulthood and lean Calvinist now, but don't define myself as one. Personally, it doesn't really matter to me to have an absolute position on this. What we are talking about is "How" someone comes to belief, repentance, and making Jesus their Lord. The how of it doesn't matter to me because I know that God is just and perfect by nature.

Rhonda in Chile said...

Ok, Ladies, looks like we've got it all worked out. Now, lets just let the men in on it!
just kidding.

Angela said...

Spurgeon, the great Baptist Victorian Preacher used to say that there was a doorway to salvation and as we looked at it, we saw the words "Whosoever will may come" inscribed.
But as we passed through into salvation and looked back at the doorway, on the other side was inscribed "You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you"
I think that is a neat way of explaining it all.
Just keep trusting Jesus!!
blessings xx