Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Then darkness fled" by Stephen Mansfield

Mom got me this book for Christmas. She knows that Booker T Washington is a hero of mine. I read his book "Up from slavery" in school.
Three years ago, she gave me a book about BT Washington and George Washington Carver. I didn't like that one very much, because it seemed to paint Washington in quite a negative light.

This one I like very much. It seems honest about faults without being entirely negative. It also explained why some at the time didn't like Washington and considered him a traitor to their cause.

What I appreciate about Washington was his Christian character that he displayed in the face of unfairness, and irrational prejudice. I also greatly appreciate that fact that he encouraged those around him to better themselves through hard work and diligence, something I lack at times. Here's a quote: "The cleaning of rooms had a great deal to do with forming one's character"

Here's another about the real and the artificial: "We shall prosper in proportion as we learn to draw the line between the superficial and the substancial, the ornamental gewgaws of life and the useful"
How's that for our materialistic age?

I weep for those who endured slavery and for those who endure bigotry today. I also know that even in the darkest places, and the most unfair circumstances, God is there. And He can make things right and His grace can be sufficient.

I truly enjoyed this book and will continue to do so for a long time.

No comments: