Sunday, August 06, 2006

Homeschoolers Continued

One of the greatest joys about homeschooling other than being able to take off anytime you want, is that you can still be you and homeschool. You don't have to make your own bread, and you don't have to get rid of your TV. Get this, you don't even have to wear a jumper! I was homeschooled for years, and I have never seen my mom wearing a jumper. She strongly dislikes them.
You can make your homeschool very "school-like" or you can un-school. You can use one curriculum, or you can mix and match. You can spend a fortune or getting everything as cheaply as possible over at Hillbilly Housewife. You can even send your kids to school and augment with stuff at home.
The important thing about homeschooling is that you will take responsability for your children's education. You will not leave them to anyone else to raise. You will be able to train them and guide them in their own budding spirituality. You will be able to just "take off" and spend a lazy day, in sweet fellowship. Housework can be a team effort. You will be the teacher they remember.

R

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Yes, that first article didn't quite settle well with me, either. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. I knew I didn't completely agree, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on why; thanks for spelling it out for me, LOL!

Arlene said...

Oops, I clicked the wrong comment button, lol. I was supposed to put that comment ^^^^ in the post below. Oh, well.

I like what you say in this post, too. Homeschooling is about doing what works for you, and what teaches/reaches your children. There is no one correct way to do things... The point is that you're becoming involved where you can, and in an area that will affect them greatly for the rest of their lives.

Dawn said...

In retrospect, I maybe should have home schooled. I was a certified teacher who hated teaching when I got into it. That may have been part of it. Also, there was very little support for home schooling at the time. My one friend who did it was not very organized and they spent most of their time in "field trips" - by that I mean, they were out running around, not in school at all. I always felt like I would either hurt my kids or myself if I tried to teach them school. I often wonder what would have happened if I had done so - in light of the trauma in my kids' lives from peer pressure.