Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A sad story

I found out this week that Dr. Kent Hovind is in jail for not paying taxes. He has been convicted and is awaiting sentencing.

I knew from watching his seminar that he has a thinly-veiled disdain for the federal government and the IRS, and maybe deservedly so. I know many Christians who hate paying taxes, knowing full well that their tax dollars go for abortions and atheistic school systems, among many other unholy things. I know that he truly believes that they are exempt from taxes. The courts saw it differently.

Is it right to pay taxes, knowing that you are funding abortions?

I appreciate Dr. Hovind inmensly and am going to participate in translating his seminar for Spanish subtitles, so please do think I am judging Dr.Hovind. But if Jesus payed taxes to a crooked publican for the Roman empire, and instructed his disciples to do the same, well, that's good enough for me.

And if you are truly exempt, I would be checking that every year, just to be on the safe side.

I know that this is casting a dark cloud over the Creation Evangelism ministry and that is a crying shame.

I pray that this problem will soon be over, and the important work of evangelising will once again take precedence.
R

4 comments:

Susan said...

I was very sad indeed to learn that Dr. Hovind was on trial for tax evasion. I do believe that it's right to pay taxes. Jesus paid His, and as you said, that's good enough for me. Jesus did not come to change the government; He came to change people. Our primary goal in this world is to see people saved. Changed people equal a changed society. I believe Dr. Hovind's tax-evasion conviction has brought reproach upon the cause of Christ, no matter how much good he's done before (and he has done much good for the Lord). The world just sees a "Christian" who has disobeyed the law and acts like he's above the law. I'm very disappinted.

Pfingston said...

We file taxes every year, with a tax man who specializes in ministries. A God-send indeed.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this a couple of months ago. I hated to hear it very much. He came and spoke at our home church in 1995 and we have copies of his creation tapes. While I hate to hear this has happened....we have to realize that sin must be punished.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me from Jesus: Can blind lead a blind man? Will they not both into a pit?